Thursday, April 19, 2012


I just finished my first week of work! Yes, it was a 3 day week, but that was the perfect way to start.  My position is a brand new one that was going to be supervised by a manager who is the only person to have ever worked on my program. Unfortunately though, she gave her notice two weeks before I was hired and is done in a week...which basically means I will have 8 total days to learn my job and everything that has happened before I started and what needs to happen after she leaves.

Day 1 was a complete whirlwind. I'm not even sure I can tell you what happened that day. But I can tell you that when I got home, I had a really sore throat and the next day, it was much worse. Wednesday was really hard. I felt like I was in a fog. My head was pounding from all of the new information I was taking in.

I was never sick during funemployment. I spent 6 months completely healthy and the first day I start working, I get sick.

I can't say I'm surprised. It felt like my body was finally giving into the mental exhaustion that had been building up during those 6 months. My body was telling me, "It's ok, your struggle is over, you're going to be ok." And my body released all of the tension, all of the anxiety, all of the worries...and I got sick.

Wednesday night when I got home, I could barely speak. My throat felt like someone had rubbed it with sandpaper and my head was too full to talk. When LoLo got home at 6:15, I was laying on the couch, half asleep. By 7:15, I was upstairs in my bed, asleep for the night.

You know how they say laughter is the best medicine? They're wrong. Sleep is the best medicine. And there's no such thing as an overdose.

12 hours later, I felt free. My body was healing, the sun was out, and I was so excited to go to work. It had finally hit me. I'm not dreaming. This amazing company is where I work. I have a job that I am really excited about.

Tomorrow, LoLo and I go to New York to visit the family. I'm so excited to cuddle with my twin nieces, have some late night chats with my brother-in-law, Sito, laugh with my sister-in-law, Luisana, and brother-in-law, Eugene, and listen to some great Dominican music with my mother-in-law.

And one of the best parts about going away is that I know that when I come back, I have a job to look forward to.

No comments: