Monday, February 25, 2013

How It Happened

Ok, this isn't really going to be a post about how it happened...because, well, I think you all know and if not, perhaps my father can help you with that (and make sure you read his comment on the post for even further explanation...his name is P-Dids).

But at least let me share with you the story of how we found out we were going to be parents. I had off the week between Christmas and New Years and spent most of that time at my parents' house since my sister was home for the holidays. My mother has always called me a slug because I'm pretty lazy and really enjoy a good day of sitting on the couch watching reality television. This week though, I just wanted to be on the couch with my eyes closed. All day. All night. At one point apparently I was snoring pretty loud which I don't usually do. I just couldn't get enough sleep. And I kept having to take really deep breaths. And I was taking tums like nobody's business. I knew something just wasn't right.

December 30, 2012, I decided it was far enough past when I was supposed to have my period and it was time to just suck it up and take a test. LoLo was at work and I had just come home from sleeping over at my parents' house. I was all alone (well, except for Bronx). I took the test and almost immediately, this is what came up:

Thank you for making the test bi-lingual. #aydiosmio
 I started freaking out. I was talking to Bronx like he was a person, saying, "Ohmygod Bronx, ohmygod Bronx, you're going to be a big brother!!!" (Psycho right?) I just couldn't believe it was true so I got in the car and drove to Rite Aid to get another test. When I brought the test up to the counter, the guy behind the counter was like "Oh wow! Good luck!! Is this your first baby? I have a daughter who's 4. I would recommend not having a daughter, they are crazy." Thanks for helping me not freak out, buddy. And like I have any choice in the matter.

I went home and took the second test. Same result.
Same shocking bi-lingual result
About this time, I was supposed to go to LoLo's work to have lunch with him. I put the tests in a plastic bag and threw them in my purse. I got in my car and started to back out of the driveway when I couldn't go any further. My car was completely stuck in the snow. My neighbor came out and was trying to help me get out, but he and I couldn't get the car to budge. I called my friends/neighbors Chris and Max and they came with big shovels and the 4 of us were finally able to get the car out after about 40 minutes of being stuck. It took everything I had not to tell Chris and Max my secret.

I got to the hospital where LoLo works and sat down with him in the cafeteria. I told him to close his eyes because I had a surprise. When he opened his eyes, the test was in front of him and he was like "Ummm is this real??" We basically sat there in stunned silence for the next 20 minutes.

Come back tomorrow for the story of how I told my family and how I nearly slept through a New Year's Eve party at my house the next day!


Al said...

I'm still sitting here in shock - CONGRATS again!! Awwwww Auntie Al. Nice ring to it ;)

Annie said...

How exciting!! Congratulations!!!

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

Congrats again! How exciting! And yeah. What's with the guy and his "encouraging" words? Haha. Ignore him!

Amira said...

Congratulations Erin!! Get ready for the ride of your life :-)

JustMe said...

haha congratulations!! Why are the tests en espanol? Que raro! I think I peed on four different tests when I found out. It's so damn exciting :)

undomestic mama said...

Your dad's comment is hilarious! I've already told B he has to have the "boy talk" with them when they get old enough to do things to their own bodies. Ew. I just. Can't.